BEING GRATEFUL CAN BE TOUGH
Thanksgiving may be over, but it's always recommended to constantly reflect on all you have to be thankful for, I mean, you're an actor, right? You must have lots you're grateful for! Well, as we all know, that's not exactly how we always feel. Being rejected, going months without booking anything, struggling to find your artistic voice-- life as an actor isn't always easy, which means sometimes we all struggle to appreciate what we do and what we have. What a better time than the holidays to be reminded?
WHAT ACTORS SHOULD BE THANKFUL FOR
Actor Life Hack blogger James David Larson wrote on this topic last year for Thanksgiving, listing 13 things that he, as an actor, is grateful for, and recommends that you be thankful for too! Read the full article here. Here's his list:
An actor should be thankful for...
- Other actors to share and collaborate with
- The crew for pulling the productions together
- The creatives for putting in the effort to develop every production
- The audience for appreciating the productions
- The representation for working on the your behalf
- The experience of acting, creating, and learning
- The paycheck for showing your work is appreciated in that way
- The freedom to express and pursue what you want
- The relationships you develop along the way
- The expression that comes with acting your heart out
- The privilege of pursuing your passions
- The process of preparing, auditioning, booking, and doing it again...the journey with no destination
- The challenge that forces you to work hard to better yourself
- The discovery of yourself and your characters in your work
So even though things may not always go your way, take a moment every now and then to think about the things that make your life as an actor something so very special.
Written by Katherine White / December 2, 2016